Sunday 28 October 2012

The Hobbit the Star and the Rockstone

Instead of sleeping my way through a cold and rainy Sunday, I dragged myself out of bed (around 2pm mind you) and went to my patch, or ward if you prefer, in Southampton.

My ward is called Bevois, and although i'm not entirely sure where it begins or ends I can see a lot of pubs for socializing and having a nice meal; and fast food joints for hungry customers in a hurry.

A week ago was the first time I had ever been this part of Southampton, and upon that visit, journeyed to the Hobbit pub: A delightful rustic establishment with live music, fun themed weekly events, and a cool student vibe. 

Whilst there, I enjoyed a magical looking blue cocktail named a "Gandalf" and was tempted to try the other nine "Lord of the Rings" themed cocktails after. Don't worry, I restrained myself.

The owner of the Hobbit, Stella Roberts is very friendly and helpful as we speak about events that have happened in the past year, and weeks to come.

One topic I wished to discuss was that of the Hobbits name; due to the film "The Hobbit" being released in cinemas soon, Hollywood was not to happy about Roberts pub keeping the name and a fight between good and evil broke out.

Thankfully the Hobbit won the battle against evil because of support from the local community, and actors Stephen Fry and Sir Ian Mcellen who both offered to pay the copyright license for our pub to keep its name.

"We have held the name for over 20 years." says Stella, and it wasn't about to change.

Although the pub has received a lot of coverage over these events Roberts has now informed me that they are no longer allowed to speak of the subject; and have been legally gagged!

(Above: The Hobbit pub)

This week I ventured a few pubs further to "The Shooting Star" and "The Rockstone".

In the "Shooting Star" I spoke to Gemma Coles, a young and cheerful bar manager that juggled talking to me and serve customers without a fuss.

I knew from research that the Star was involved with charities such as "Oxfam" and a particular event called "Dear Catastrophe Radio" is being held at the "Shooting Star" on Saturday, November 3. This event raises money for the Oxfam music shop. 

The pub also won an award for being the safest pub in Southampton, and runner up for the same prize nationally; this award is judged by police and licencors so therefore is taken very seriously. 

I wish to get an interview with Gary Myles, a local musician who is performing next at the "Shooting Star" on the 23rd of November, and 14th of December. He calls himself "Garyoke" like karaoke; as his music is a mix of pop, rock and TV/ movie favourites form the 1950's all the way to 2010. 

(Above: The Shooting Star pub)

Lastly I visited the Rockstone, which on December 1, is celebrating its 1st birthday under new management and a new name (previously the Castle).

They tell me that one of the main issues being new was changing their audience (the people they cater for). Previously most members of the public journeyed to the castle to get a bit drunk and messy, but the Rockstone is made of classier stuff; and is one of the only pubs around that allows both children and dogs at all times of day.

I ended up staying here quite a while talking to the friendly members of staff and Max, the owner, who looked after the kitchen.

It appears part of their success comes from their use of local produce and pride. "Our aim is to be a country pub, set in the city." Says Max. Most of their ingredients come from Hampshire, and when I tell them of my Cornish home Max delighted to say that they source some of their wine from Bude. 

aside from the fabulous local food they are also hosting a German market every weekend this December and have a Mexican menu (alongside the regular menu) every Tuesday.

The Rockstone also holds an ongoing competition for a t shirt. "The person has to drink either 40 shots of rum, or 40 shots of whiskey and they will win a t shirt." Max says. 

He himself has completed the challenge  and those who wish to compete have no time limit and dozens of types of rum and whiskey to chose from.

The friendly, chatty atmosphere of the Rockstone, and fun menu (each dish has its own comedic name e.g lobster: Rock Lobster, Mussels: Mussel Brand) has won me over and I can't wait to go back for a meal very very soon!

(Above: The Rockstone)

No comments:

Post a Comment